E-Z Movers, a professional moving company in Chicago, is committed to helping people enjoy smooth, cost-effective moves. We understand that moving is one of the most stressful life events—that’s why we help make it E-Z!
Here are the top 10 moving mistakes, and how you can keep from making them.
- Winging it. The worst thing you can do when you’re moving is fail to have a plan. Start organizing your move as far in advance as possible.
- Never considering a professional moving service. Many people automatically choose the do-it-yourself option because of the costs. But it’s important to consider the amount of time and hassle you’ll save by hiring movers, and weigh that against the price.
- Underestimating how much you’re moving. If you’re working with a moving company, it’s essential to be accurate with your household inventory. You can’t get an accurate quote unless you know just how much there is—and if the movers are expecting less, the truck they bring might not have enough room.
- Putting off “spring cleaning.” Moving is hard enough. You don’t want to worry about getting rid of things you don’t need after you’ve arrived at your new home—so plan enough time to discard unwanted items before moving day.
- Improper packing. Even the most careful movers can’t do anything about the way a moving truck operates. If your possessions aren’t properly packed, something is bound to break in transit.
- Leaving out labels. You may think you don’t have to label boxes because they’re all going to the same place. But identifying boxes with at least the room they’re going to only takes a few minutes, and saves you hours of time while you’re unpacking.
- Not having the right tools. Slightly higher moving expenses for the right packing materials now will save you the much higher cost of replacing broken items after the move.
- Failing to separate valuable items. If you have delicate and expensive items that are small enough to get lost in the shuffle (such as electronics or jewelry), pack them separately to take in your vehicle so you don’t risk a big loss.
- Packing immediate essentials. Separate items that you’ll need during and immediately after the move, and pack them in your vehicle so you’ll have easy access.
Waiting until the last minute. Make sure everything is packed and ready to go on moving day, so you can avoid potentially expensive delays.