EZ Movers, a professional moving company in Chicago, offers full-service local and long distance moving for Chicago movers, Madison movers, and anyone relocating throughout the continental U.S. We pride ourselves on providing smooth, cost-effective moves and delivering exceptional customer service.
We understand how valuable your antiques are to you and your family. That’s why we’re pleased to offer these tips to help ensure that your most prized possessions arrive quickly and undamaged at your new home. Before the move
Many customers try to save money by not insuring their items during a move. However, when it comes to antiques, it’s highly recommended that you:
This way, if the unthinkable happens, you’re able to recover the value of your items.
You should also inspect your antiques and clean them before the move, if needed. Your local hardware store or antiques dealer should have special cleaning products that can be used safely for fine furniture. However, make sure you avoid using any cleaning products with oil or wax right before a move—these can soften the finish, and leave your antiques vulnerable to imprints from furniture pads. Packing antiques
- When possible, use the original boxes for packing smaller antiques, such as china or collectibles. If the original boxes aren’t available, use plenty of bubble wrap and double- or triple-walled cartons.
- Remove small components from antique furniture before moving, including doorknobs, handles, couch cushions, and drawers.
- Secure any antique furniture doors with string, bungee cords, or rubber straps. NEVER use tape directly on surfaces, especially for antiques.
- Label any boxes with breakable items as “FRAGILE”
- Wrap furniture in blankets or moving pads to protect it during transport
Finally, be sure to measure both your antique furniture and the doors of your new home, to ensure that the furniture will fit through safely. Furniture doesn’t bend—so if you try to force it through, you will damage your antiques.
You may also consider hiring a professional, experienced and insured full-service mover to safely transport your antiques.