Whenever you are preparing a move:
8 to 14 days before your move
- Get rid of anything you aren't bringing with you and haven’t used in long time
- Find out where to dispose of household chemicals like old paint
- Make a list of everything you're bringing to your new home
- Find out the replacement value of all belongings, for insurance purposes
- Fill out a change of address form. Notify friends, family and others of your new address
- Fill out an IRS change of address form
- Get copies of your medical and dental records, if necessary
- Get copies of veterinary records, if necessary
- If you're moving out of state, find out about auto licensing and insurance
- If you're moving in-state, find out where and how to change your address on your driver's license
- Notify your kids' schools and have their records transferred to their new schools
- Return any cable equipment and schedule disconnection dates
- Make hotel and airline reservations if you need them
2 to 7 days before you move
- Return library books or any other borrowed items.
- Collect all the items you may have loaned out.
- Make arrangements to disconnect gas, electric and other utilities.
- Make arrangements to connect utilities at your new place.
- Arrange to have major appliances prepped for the move.
The day before moving day
- Get rid of all flammables.
- Figure out what you're bringing with you in the car or plane.
- Arrange for removal of "installed items" you're bringing with you, like a TV antenna or shelves.
- Pack a suitcase with the clothes and toiletries you'll need the first day in your new home.
- Pack a special box with other essentials you'll need for the first few days. (Make sure to mark this box "Do Not Move").
- Take down curtains and curtain rods.
- Empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator. Make sure it has at least 24 hours to air dry.
- Clean and air your stove and other electrics
- Plan your breakfast. Get some paper plates. Eating something on the road is better.
- Pack your personal belongings except your alarm clock.
- Go to sleep early you'll be glad to be fresh on moving day.
- Collect all keys to locking items. Put them in a safe place.
- Strip the beds but leave them intact. We will dismantle them.
- Make sure you're at home when the movers arrive, so you can sign an inventory.
- Walk around with the foreman of the crew while he does the inventory.
- Make sure everything is ready for the move.
- Keep your signed bill of lading and inventory in an easily accessible place.
- Make sure the driver has the correct delivery address and phone numbers.
- Confirm the earliest possible deli very date with the foreman.
- Before you leave, do a final walk through of every room. Check all closets and cabinets. Say good bye!
We make it personal, yet keep it professional! e-z does it!
Request an Estimate
Call our relocation specialists for more information on moving estimates, packages and storage 1-888.917.8300 or